Do you feel the urge for a much-needed social media detox? We completely comprehend. For many people, Instagram is the place to start. Delete an Instagram Account proves to be a bit more difficult than one might imagine when you first learn that it’s even possible.
You know what we’re talking about if you’ve ever watched minutes stretch into hours while browsing aimlessly on Instagram.
The doctor recommended that you delete or disable your Instagram account in order to reduce your screen time.
Given that we use our phones to access Instagram the bulk of the time, it only makes sense that we should be able to use them for anything related to the app.
How to Delete an Instagram Account on iPhone
That hasn’t always been the case, though. You could only delete your Instagram account through a web browser on your PC until recently. But, luckily, that is no longer the case.
From your iPhone app, you may effortlessly remove or disable your Instagram account, whether personal or business.
What’s the significance of mentioning account kinds separately? Because deleting your personal account from the iPhone app is a relatively new feature.
When the functionality first debuted on the mobile app, it was only available to accounts with a business or professional profile. Enough with the trip down memory lane. Let’s get started.
Deleting vs. Disabling your Account
It’s simple to delete your Instagram account via the iPhone app. However, you should understand the difference between deleting and disabling your account before proceeding.
If you delete your account, it will be gone for good. It will permanently remove your profile, as well as all of your photographs, videos, comments, likes, and follows.
If you just want to take a break from Instagram, though, disabling it will just hide everything until you allow it again. You can reactivate your account at any moment, and there is no time limit.
However, when you request that your account be deleted, it does not happen immediately. Although all of your data will be removed from the app immediately, Instagram allows you a 30-day grace period during which you can log in at any moment to prevent the account from being deleted. You will not be able to reclaim your account once this window has closed.
When you disable your account, you will be able to reactivate it with the same username. You might be able to establish a new account with the same username if you remove it, but only if it hasn’t already been taken.
Download your Data
If you’re really serious about deleting your Instagram account, you should back up your data beforehand.
However, when you download your data, it will include all of your Instagram data, not just the photographs and videos you’ve shared.
It will also feature, among other things, your comments and profile information.
- At the bottom-right corner of the screen, tap the ‘Profile‘ symbol.
- Then, in the upper-right corner of the screen, tap the hamburger menu (three lines).
- From the menu that displays, select ‘Your Activity.’
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select ‘Download your information.’
Fill in the email address where you’d like to get the information. The email address linked with your account will be filled by default.
- To continue, tap ‘Request Download.’ The data could take up to 48 hours to reach you.
How to Delete your Account from the Instagram App
Open the Instagram iPhone app and hit the Profile icon in the bottom-right corner of the screen to remove your account.
Then, in the upper-right corner of the screen, tap the hamburger menu (three stacked lines).
- From the menu that displays, select ‘Settings.’
- From the settings menu, select ‘Account.’
- Tap ‘Delete Account‘ at the bottom of the page.
- ‘Delete Account‘ or ‘Disable Account‘ are the two options available. Select the one you want by tapping it.
- If you select ‘Disable Account,’ a link will open in your browser immediately, prompting you to provide the reason for disabling the account as well as your account password.
- Then, to temporarily disable the account, tap ‘Temporarily Disable Account.’
- Instead, if you tap ‘Delete Account,’ a confirmation message will display on your computer, informing you of the last date before the deletion procedure is completed. To continue, tap ‘Continue Deleting Account.’
The link will open in your browser, prompting you to enter the reason for deleting your account.
Then, after re-entering your password, tap ‘Delete accountname>’ to delete your account.
Deleting your Account from Mobile Browser
Don’t panic if you can’t find the option to delete the account in the mobile app. It’s possible that you won’t be able to delete some accounts within the app if you have numerous accounts logged in.
Your Instagram account can still be deleted or disabled from your iPhone. This time, however, we’d use Safari or another browser instead of the Instagram app.
- Go to instagram.com, log in to your account, then press the ‘Profile’ icon to disable your account. Then, in the top-left corner of the screen, hit the ‘Settings’ icon (gear symbol).
- Then, from the list of options that appears, select ‘Edit Profile.’
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select ‘Temporarily disable my account.’
- You’ll be taken to the same page as if you used the app. Your account will be disabled unless you re-activate it by entering the reason for disabling together with your password.
- Log in to your account in the browser to permanently erase it. Then, on your browser, access this link to delete an account.
- Ensure that the account you want to delete is the one that is currently logged in. The username will be visible in the inquiry ‘Why do you want to delete username>?’ Select a cause for deletion.
- Then, after re-entering your password, select the Delete option. Your deletion request will be processed.
- Social networking may be a maelstrom that suffocates you and your time. And, despite all of the great things we can achieve with it, it can also be a breeding ground for hatred and bullying.
- So, if you need to take a break or simply move away from your phone, go ahead and do it.